Diarrhea sickens and kills more children than virtually any other illness.
And rotavirus is the primary cause of diarrhea-related illnesses and deaths. Every child is vulnerable, regardless of where they live, and for those in places without medical care it can be a death sentence.
The Rotavirus Organization of Technical Allies (ROTA) Council is working to change this.
By providing the scientific and technical evidence policymakers need to accelerate the introduction of rotavirus vaccines in high-burden countries, the ROTA Council aims to save lives and improve health by promoting the use of rotavirus vaccines as part of a comprehensive approach to addressing diarrheal disease. What makes the ROTA Council unique is its focus on providing evidence for decision making through credible scientific authorities.
The ROTA Council:
- Effectively communicates evidence to policymakers and other key decisions makers on the toll of rotavirus and the impact of vaccines
- Works with regional and in-country champions who can help communicate about, and raise awareness of, the rotavirus disease burden and potential impact of vaccines in reducing that burden
- Strengthens partnerships across the diarrheal disease community to build support for rotavirus vaccine introduction and ensure that vaccines are seen as part of a comprehensive approach to addressing all of diarrhea’s causes
- Proactively engages media to encourage and inform coverage of the rotavirus burden and the potential of vaccines
- Supports decision making at the country, regional and global levels by providing evidence to accelerate the introduction of rotavirus vaccines